Τετάρτη 27 Απριλίου 2016

Art Therapy: Try it at Home

                                                        
Art as a process can be therapeutic for the person, fact which is the basis of art therapy itself. How art functions in this way is extensively reviewed in the literature, and one could read theories and practices about it. Yet how does this happen? Can art function therapeutically for the individual outside the strict structure of therapy?
Therapists have seen countless times the almost magical effect that can be caused by art therapy, but it is not until experiencing it ourselves that we will be able to fully understand it (and thus use it to treat others). Art making can be calming to the soul, since the person can devote fully its attention to it, and quietly meditate during the process- both consciously and unconsciously.
Of course, the level of interest as well as the skill will play a role in the procedure. Still, if the person wishes to engage in the therapeutic aspect of art, he/ she can create something beautiful, not because of the dexterity, but through putting their heart and soul in it.
Personally, I lack the skill yet have a great desire. This is what lead me to engage in creating art- like things- both for the outcome, but mainly for the process, which I found relaxing and exciting simultaneously.

So I try to keep it simple: I bought a 50x50 frame with depth. Then I took sea shells (that I have been gathering as a hobbie) and glued them on the empty central space of the frame with a simple wet glue. Both the materials (frame, shells, and a glue) used, as well as the process were extremely simple. It only took attention and care on my behalf, since all I had to do was to place the glued shells one by one on the inner part of the frame.
Despite the process being simple, the result turned out to be beautiful. In this case, by referring to an outcome, I do not only mean the decorated frame, but the actual therapeutic experience. After finishing, and without understanding it throughout the way, I felt much calmer, since even without conscious effort I had been mentally working on personal stressors, and to be honest, I felt pleased as well for having made something by myself. This is afterall the reason why one would engage in creating art- like things- the procedure. The nice result hanging on my wall is a constant reminder of that. That does not minimize the need for a structured treatment or does not imply that this is all art therapy is, but it has a strong effect on the person.  
You can see it as a hobbie with benefits, so try it at home, try it alone. Find something that inspires you, even slightly, and work on that attentively and with care. It is something creative you can do, without the need of any therapist or therapy. But with the therapeutic result. 






Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου